Wednesday, August 29, 2012

To hell with Jesus

jesse says:
August 29, 2012 at 1:55 am


Roger, any chance you could deal with some of the verses Piper quotes and give the Arminian perspective?

 rogereolson says:
 August 29, 2012 at 12:31 pm


    You missed it, so I’ll say it again: No need to, as IF those scriptures mean what Piper says they mean, then Jesus Christ was not the perfect revelation of God and the Bible itself is not worthy of our trust because God is not good and thus not to be trusted.

Where have I heard that before?


60  When many of his disciples heard it, they said, “This is a hard saying; who can listen to it?” 61 But Jesus, knowing in himself that his disciples were grumbling about this, said to them, “Do you take offense at this? 62 Then what if you were to see the Son of Man ascending to where he was before? 63  It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life. 64 But there are some of you who do not believe.” (For Jesus knew from the beginning who those were who did not believe, and who it was who would betray him.) 65 And he said, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father.” 66  After this many of his disciples turned back and no longer walked with him (Jn 6:60-66).

2 comments:

  1. "It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all."

    I like this translation.

    I was thinking how Jesus did all He could so the Jews could believe. He raised a man who dead for 4 days. In fact, what part did Lazuras have to play in his coming forth from the tomb. Jesus did ask others to move the stone, but He could have thought it out of the way. He is incredibly kind to allow us to be part of His life, and even miracles back then.

    Roger has a proud heart. Sad. The truth is clear, and yes God is good, but why would He even bother saving any of us wretches.

    I wonder does Olson think humans are wretches, and under God's wrath and dead, and so the "Spirit" gives life, as He did to Lazarus.

    I believe there are many Arminian Christians, but I just don't understand why, when the Bible is so full of how we are dead, and we can't make ourselves alive.

    Have a great holiday weekend! Lord bless you and your family with His joy and hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Apart from me, you can do many good things."

    "I am come to help them have a more abundant life now."

    "Come to me all who are heavy laden and I will help you shoulder your burden so you can get to where you were going anyway more easily."

    The Gospel according to Roger? The Itching Ears Edition, undoubtedly.

    ReplyDelete