Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Pope Isn't Catholic

Scott Windsor has posted two more responses to me on the papacy, here and here. Since he didn't interact much with what I said, there isn't much for me to say in response.

One thing worth noting is that he made such broad dismissive comments about scholars who disagree with his conservative Roman Catholicism:

The next criticism is that Engwer singles out liberal and perhaps even dissenting views, as if dissenters represent Catholicism and/or Catholic teaching - and just because they’ve written some books or teach somewhere they are now “Catholic scholars.” This may work if Mr. Engwer is preaching to his own choir, but the objective reader will note the criticisms made of his choice of “scholars” - and should dismiss them, just as I have....

First off, Schaff is quite the anti-Catholic, as one can easily see in the commentary he adds to his rendition of the ECFs. Likewise, J.N.D. Kelly is no supporter of Catholicism! Mr. Engwer does not present actual EVIDENCE to counter what I said, he provides non- or anti-Catholic commentary. That’s not valid scholarship.

Apparently, you have to agree with Scott's conservative Catholicism in order to be a Catholic scholar. Scott has repeatedly made such comments in response to scholarship he disagrees with, even if the scholars offer evidence to support their conclusion within the comments I've cited.

In light of Scott's comments above, keep in mind that recent Popes taken some liberal positions as well. See here. And much of the scholarship Scott disagrees with and dismisses as non-Catholic has come from scholars appointed by Popes and never disciplined by the Popes. Maybe those Popes aren't Catholic either.

5 comments:

  1. Couldn't we do a tu quoque and say that J.N.D. Kelly was a critical scholar and a moderate Protestant?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saint and Sinner,

    Scott dismissed Kelly as "no supporter of Catholicism" and "non-Catholic", so even the descriptions of him that you've mentioned don't seem to be enough for Scott.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since he didn't interact much with what I said, there isn't much for me to say in response.

    I broke out in flat out laughter when I saw this comment! The objective reader only need look at what I truly DID interact with! The amount of times I said "Engwer continues..." and my interaction with that just totally discredits the assertion that I didn't interact much with what was said.

    AMDG,
    Scott<<<

    ReplyDelete
  4. Windsor continues:

    I broke

    But this is wrong.

    Windsor continues:

    out in flat out laughter when I saw this comment!

    But this is also wrong.

    Windsor continues:

    The objective

    Protestant scholars are only objective if they agree with my definition of Protestantism.

    Windsor continues:

    reader only need look

    Blue is my favorite color!

    Windsor continues:

    at what I truly DID interact with!

    Okay, I lied. It's mauve.

    Windsor continues:

    The amount of times I said "Engwer continues..." and my interaction with that just totally discredits the assertion that I didn't interact much with what was said.

    As you can see, the large number of times I said "Windsor continues" and my interaction with that completely discredits any notion that I haven't interacted with Windsor's most recent comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Scott dismissed Kelly as "no supporter of Catholicism" and "non-Catholic", so even the descriptions of him that you've mentioned don't seem to be enough for Scott."

    Oops. I didn't read enough of the context.

    ReplyDelete