Wednesday, December 30, 2009

New Year's [ir]resolutions

[Billy Birch] I hate regrets. But as much I hate regrets, I also learn from them. For example, I think back over this year and remember how poorly I acted at times in debate toward other Christian brothers with whom I have disagreed. That has got to change. I cannot complain about others who act ungodly toward other Christians with whom they disagree and then behave in the same manner. I hate depravity.

As far as this blog is concerned for 2010, I intend on being more gracious with those who oppose my ideas and exegesis of Scripture...

Beginning Wednesday, December 30, 2009, I will be posting on John Owen's book, A Display of Arminianism. This contemptible and paltry book is a classic in Calvinistic literature as a tirade against Arminianism. The blurb on back of the book reads: "Some may ask, 'why another book exposing Arminianism?' A simple answer should suffice for all lovers of the truth ~ Arminianism is heresy!"

Though I have every intention on dialoguing with others in a manner that is becoming a Christian in the coming year, I have every intention of exposing Owen's puerile work for what it is ~ not a mere misrepresentation of Arminianism but a collection of servile lies [emphasis mine].

http://classicalarminianism.blogspot.com/2009/12/2009-and-still-learning.html

Yes, Dr. Sproul, I am equally frustrated ~ especially when liars such as John Owen vomit such excrement as is found in A Display of Arminianism, which is still in print, and which is still being promoted by Calvinists today as an accurate refutation of Classical Arminianism. And what is equally frustrating is when Calvinists tolerate such lies, caricatures, and misrepresentations, without correcting their colleagues with the truth [emphasis mine].

http://classicalarminianism.blogspot.com/2009/12/display-of-arminianism.html

Thankfully he hasn't violated his New Year's resolution, having gotten these jabs in just under the wire.

11 comments:

  1. Was I in debate or dialogue with John Owen, or exposing the lies about Arminianism in his book?

    I wrote:

    As far as this blog is concerned for 2010, I intend on being more gracious with those who oppose my ideas and exegesis of Scripture. . . . .

    So, when I am engaged in dialogue with others, my attitude will be checked, much as it is now. But I also wrote, which you did not quote, that I "will still fervently oppose Calvinism as a system." That is what I am doing with Owen - fervently opposing.

    God bless, Mr. Hays.
    Billy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see. So if Owen were your contemporary,if he were still alive, and you were debating him face-to-face, you'd avoid adjectives like "puerile," "vomit," "excrement," and "servile lies," but if he died tomorrow, then you'd be a liberty to use any derogatory adjective or epithet you could dig up in your online thesaurus.

    It's fascinating to study Arminian ethics in action. Are you sure you weren't a Jesuit in a former life? You know, the kind that Pascal wrote about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "So, when I am engaged in dialogue with others, my attitude will be checked, much as it is now."

    Why think Kantianism is Christian? Motives and intent and attitude come into play too, not simply rote, outward conformance to law.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, the context of what I wrote was the engagement of dialoguing with others, which you quoted from my statement. So, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad I'm not in this dialogue, because if I was, it would be impermissible for me to say Mr. Birch's blog is chock full of excrement and vomit. Oh, and his mother is ugly, too.

    Ethically, I sort of enjoy the liberty in Mr. Birch's concept of the non-dialogue. I would thank him, but that could be construed as dialogue, and he may have to pretend to be civil.

    The only thing worse than a hostile Arminian, after all, is a self-deceived Arminian playing nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't invite William Watson Birch to your funeral...there's no telling what violence he would wreak on your corpse...I imagine he'll have a lot of pent up aggression by sticking to his New Year's resolution.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As long as you're still breathing, he'll be "gracious," but the moment you flatline, all bets are off!

    I wonder what his policy is for comatose patients. Which side of the line of fire do they fall on?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, since I can't dialogue with the comotose . . . ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you can't dialog with them, spit on their graves!

    Oh wait ... that's not right.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, since I can't dialogue with the comotose . . . ;)

    Mr. Birch, you're more creative than you let one...if you can be ungracious toward a dead guy, then certainly there's something you can find contemptible about the comatose.

    once you do, you can always jiggle their catheter then put their hand in a warm glass of water.

    ReplyDelete
  11. you can always jiggle their catheter then put their hand in a warm glass of water.

    W O W . . . I wish I had thought of that . . .

    ReplyDelete