Saturday, November 26, 2005

A proposal

Since I don’t have a current email address for the iMonk, I’ll respond to his proposal in public.

Given that I have very limited interest in this particular controversy, it could well die of attrition.

However, speaking for myself, I see no moral or intellectual justification for a blanket, open-ended moratorium on posting any commentary on IM or BHT until the new year. For one thing, that goes way beyond the rather narrow issue which precipitated the present blogothon.

It would be spiritually irresponsible of me to submit to a gag order without knowing in advance what might appear on IM or BHT. What if something theologically outrageous is posted between then and now?

Furthermore, the idea of closing my combox on IM/BHT threads is remarkably paternalistic. What makes you think I think I have the right to unilaterally preempt someone else's spiritual discernment on an issue? I find such an autocratic mentality alien to my own blogging philosophy. It's like something I'd expect from the Shepherding Movement.

Because I have a rather combative style of writing, I regard it as a professional courtesy to give my opponents the right to return fire. To me, that's just fair play.

In addition, I'm under no illusion that I'm the smartest or wisest blogger in the world. So I welcome the input from friend and foe alike. Hence, the combox remains open.

No comments:

Post a Comment